St. Brendan’s National School,Bantry

 


Our school is a Church of Ireland National School under the patronage of the Bishop of Cork, Cloyne and Ross. It is situated in the heart of Bantry, at the top 0f the harbour, overlooking Bantry Bay.




Our school is co-educational and serves the local Church of Ireland parish and the families and children of the local community. We have two classrooms with two mainstream teachers and one Special Education Teacher. We were founded as a school in 1853 by Richard, Earl of Bantry,  and officially became a National School on May 1st 1871.  We will be celebrating our 150th anniversary next year.

Our school was known as Bantry number three National School until October 1999. At that time the Parish church was rededicated to St. Brendan the Navigator and we became St. Brendan’s National School. St. Brendan’s National School has strong links with the local community. The historic pupil base shows a great diversity of nationalities and cultures which continues  today.



We teach tolerance and respect of everyone - people of all faith traditions and those of none.  We aspire to be a school that encourages the children in a dynamic and living faith and to be a place of education where that faith percolates through every aspect of our activities. The characteristic spirit of the school can be read in full in our Ethos statement